Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation. – Dean Kamen
Performance By Default.
Take full advantage of today’s multicore processors with Unity’s new high-performance multithreaded Data-Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS). Your games will run faster and your code will be easier to read and reuse across other projects.
In fact, The Megacity Demo features 4.5M mesh renderers, 200k unique building objects, 100k unique audio sources, and 5000 dynamic vehicles flying on spline-based traffic lanes.
Rebuilding Unity’s core
We’re rebuilding the core foundation of Unity with the high-performance multithreaded Data-Oriented Technology Stack. DOTS makes it possible for your game to fully utilize the latest multicore processors without the heavy programming headache. DOTS includes the following features:
- The C# Job System for running multithreaded code efficiently.
- The Entity Component System (ECS) for writing high-performance code by default.
- The Burst Compiler for producing highly optimized native code
The Unity Physics integration represents the default physics system in Unity for DOTS-based projects and is currently in Preview release form. It is backed by our own DOTS physics solver and written using the C# DOTS framework. The Physics system philosophy has more details.
By using a stateless design and not leveraging caching, we are able to simplify the complexity of Unity Physics, empowering people to easily tweak, modify, and learn as we evolve the system. Our goal is to give the power back to you as creators and let you easily extend the system to meet your production needs.
Recognizing the redefinition of Unity as a platform through Unity DOTS, I have been learning how DOTS can improve my development services. I continue to update my knowledge as fast as the technology changes.
- I’m active with new releases and the forums for C# Job System, ECS, and the burst compiler.
- I have completed games with VERY small-filesize using Unity’s Project Tiny
- I presented an Introduction to ECS talk at the Official Unity Meetup Group in Copenhagen (The Birthplace of Unity 🙂 )
- I am currently working on a premium online video tutorial series regarding Unity DOTS Physics
As these projects mature and client-demand increases, I am positioned to hit the ground running and offer immediate value on my clients’ DOTS projects.
Please contact me to discuss any remote, contract opportunities that may be a good fit.